More than 4000 people were rescued from the Concordia last week, with the help of the crew and Italian Coast Guard. All people involved deserve great credit for this.
However, some people did not make it off the ship and died, some with life vests on, in hallways and restaurants.
These passengers knew there was a problem, did what they thought was proper to prepare and then somehow never made it out.
When one can can swim to land and the ship is only half sunk, EVERYONE should get off alive. There was plenty of time to scour that ship for people, get them in a safe place and get them off the ship.
So I am saddened, and upset, as you should be, at the failed execution of the safety plans in their entirety. There are no easy answers, and its going to take months to really know what happened and how to fix it. However with what we already know we can piece together what may have happened now.
I love cruising. I want to see it around for a long time, however, Concordia is a black eye for the industry. The image of the Concordia laying breathless, half on her side, has been beamed into living rooms and offices all over the world. This image alone will haunt the industry for a long time.
Costa Cruises released options for those North American passengers who are scheduled on upcoming sailings onCosta Concordia or any other ships in the fleet. Guestsmust select their options by February 7, 2012.
The Costa Magica and neoRomatica will assume the Western Caribbean itineraries so guests vacations will not be interrupted.
Options for guests scheduled to sail on Costa Concordia until March 23, 2012:
- Cruise Price Protection is available on any January-March,2012, 5-7 night sailings based on availability.
- Re-book an 11 nights sailing on Costa Serena or neoRomatica
- Cancel without penalty ( including Costa’s air, hotel, transfers, vacation protection, and government taxes and fees) and receive a full refund + 30% future cruise credit on a sailing within the next 18-months. If guests purchased their own air, Costa will reimburse up to $200 per person in form of on-board credit.
- Guest can book on Costa Magica or neoRomantica
- Cancel without penalty
- Guests booked on any Costa sailings can cancel for any reason without penalty including Costa’s air, hotel, transfers, vacation protection, and government taxes and fees. This must be done by February 7, 2012.